Redwood Logo Dedicated to improving the health of your home environment.
link to home page link to mold page link to inspection page mold prevention page link to about us page


Molds can be found almost anywhere; it can grow on virtually any substance containing moisture and where some type of food source is present.

Keep interior relative humidity under 50%:
Decrease mold growth by venting bathrooms, dryers, and other moisture-generating sources to the outside; using air conditioners and de-humidifiers; increasing ventilation; and using exhaust fans whenever cooking, dishwashing and cleaning.

Dry wet materials right away:
Clean and dry any damp or wet building materials and furnishings within 24-48 hours to prevent mold growth. If you've experienced a plumbing "event", call a professional drying company - the sooner you get it dry the less chance you will have of mold growth.

Prevent condensation:
Reduce the potential for condensation on cold surfaces (i.e., windows, piping, exterior walls, roof or floors) by adding insulation.

Avoid carpets in moist areas:
In areas where there is a perpetual moisture problem, do not install carpeting (i.e., near drinking fountains, classroom sinks or on concrete floors with leaks or frequent condensation).


You can minimize or reduce the exposure to allergens by taking the following precautions:

  • Wash bedding every week in hot water
  • Replace carpet with hard flooring if possible.
  • Use allergen free mattress and pillow covers to minimize contact with any dust mites
  • Keep upholstered furniture to a minimum
  • Use air filters to keep mite particles out of the air
  • Try to keep pets outside the house as dust mites thrive on animal and human dander
  • Minimize the use of curtains or drapes by using shades
  • Use room HEPA filters that may be helpful in removing airborne circulating pet allergens


Clean mold off hard surfaces with water and detergent, and dry completely. Washables should be washed three times in the hottest water. Mattresses, stuffed animals, overstuffed fabric furniture that shows visible mold which has been confirmed by professional environmental lab testing, should probably be discarded. These items can be professionally remediated, however the costs usually exceed the value.

If mold becomes a problem in your home or business, industry standards - IICRC S520 ( - advise removal of the mold after the water source/sources are stopped.

Always get THREE QUOTES if you do require remediation. Always test after the remediation and before you close up the project. Always read any contract that you sign - ask who pays for clearance testing if your project fails. Responsible remediators should guarantee clearance or they will pay for further testing.


Contact us for a FREE consultation. Once you have the knowledge, then you can make an educated decision.

(415) 305-3368

Find out more about mold & allergen inpsections here.